Thursday, January 29, 2009

NY dreamin'


We haven't been back to New York City since moving away five years ago and my sister-in-law, Janine, recently asked for sites and restaurant suggestions for her upcoming trip. She's got me dreamin'.

If I could fly to New York tomorrow, this is what I'd do...

- Peter Luger Steakhouse
- Serendipity 3 – for their frozen hot chocolate
- TKTS – for the cheap broadway tickets (I’ve always wanted to see Wicked)
- A walk in Central park
- Shopping on 5th avenue – okay, window shopping…and maybe a little street shopping
- Canal street – for the knock-off bags
- Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge – and then have incredible pizza at…
- Grimaldi’s (in Brooklyn) – two words: margarita pizza
- Go for a taping of the Letterman show
- Grand Central Station for lunch – Indian food…oh, and cheesecake from Juniors
- Ride the subway (duh)
- Carmine's in Times Square for delish Italian food
- Visit my favorite museums: the Frick, the Met and the Museum of Natural History
- Kate’s Paperie
- Take the ferry to Staten Island and back (just for the view)
- And, of course, check out my old digs in Rego Park, Queens. Holla!

This list is just a start, so tell me what's your NY "must see"?

9 comments:

Janine said...

I was going to do The Met, MOMA, and the Guggenheim - but now I'll take another look at the Frick and the Natural History.

Thanks for the tips. What's TKTS - or whatever, and how do I go about getting tickets to a show?? HELP...

Kate's and Canal street - helpful hints (I'd forgotten about Kate's). And walking across the Brooklyn Bridge (and then having pizza) sounds super fun.

BarbaraJo said...

That is my idea of a dream "girl" or sister vacation! YES, please!!!

b.liz said...

TKTS is a booth set up smack in the middle of times square where you line up to get cheap broadway tickets the same day of the show. Didn't we do this together when you came? Here's the link for more info: http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56

Sara and Dustin said...

The TKTS booth has actually changed location. It's now located under the Marriot Marquee Hotel (which is in Times Square) but it's not as visible as it used to be. Just go to Times Square and ask anyone where it is - they'll know.

Beth, I love how most of your top picks involve food. I would be the same way!

Sara and Dustin said...

Oh yeah, GO SEE WICKED!!! I loved it. I'd see it again and again and again if I could.

Blake and Yanery said...

OMG! You read my mind. My family is going out for a quick weekend and I sooooo want to go. This is def making me homesick. At least I know I am not the only one who wants to go tomorrow.

Holly said...

Another must see is the Museum of the Tenements. I didn't go when I lived there but went on my last trip. It was fascinating.

Last time I was in NYC I also became intimately acquainted with the Canadian Consulate – it is not something I'd recommend... The lesson I learned from that is DON'T LOSE YOUR PASSPORT IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY... even if the country doesn't feel foreign.

Stu said...

If you only go to one musuem go see The Frick Collection (http://www.frick.org/). I'm not a huge fan of the MOMA and the Guggenheim.

Also, if you don't want to go to Brooklyn or Long Island for a steak (Peter Luger's) go to Spark's (http://sparkssteakhouse.com/), it's my second favorite place in the City. Don't leave NYC without going to one of these steakhouses though...also, a lot of places in the City only take cash so keep that in mind (figure a $100/person with taxes and tip).

Kathy said...

HI Beth - Oh my goodness this brings back memories of my visit in Aug '01, Didn't your mom, you and I have soooo much fun?? (well, I REALLY did). I can't think of going back with out you being there (plus Mike is not all that keen on going, so this is my way of coping at the thought of maybe never getting to return!!) Your children are darling, and don't you find that things change exponentially with 3 from 2? (well, at least I did. It made #4 a breeze, however!!) Lots of love always,
Kathy