Sunday, May 16, 2010

Artichoke-Chicken Gratinata

This yummy weeknight meal was a huge hit at our house. In fact, during dinner my little Bear said, "This is so good...you should definitely blog about this one, Mom!" Um, I rarely blog about recipes, but since he suggested it....

(I modified a recipe by Giada DeLaurentis adding chicken and making it even easier.)


Chicken-Artichoke Gratinata
1 pound frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
8 chicken tenders (or 3-4 chicken breasts), thawed
1 T. olive oil

salt & pepper

red pepper flakes (to taste)
2 tsp. dry Italian dressing mix
Toss above ingredients together and place in a greased casserole dish and then pour over top:
1/2 c. chicken broth.
In a small bowl, mix together with a fork:
2 T. butter, melted
1/3 c. Italian bread crumbs

1/3 c. grated Parmesan or romano cheese
Sprinkle bread crumb mixture evenly over chicken and artichokes.
Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes until bubbly and chicken is no longer pink.

(What's a "gratinata" anyway? Perhaps it means the yummy crusty topping...mmmmm.)

8 comments:

nymanzanita said...

That sounds AMAZING! I will definitly have to try that SOON! Thanks for sharing...

Janine said...

This looks yummy, I'll have to try it. I've never looked for frozen artichoke hearts, do you know if we have them here?

Sara and Dustin said...

I think that looks delicious but I'm the only one in my family who will eat artichoke. That little Bear is so smart to think of blogging about a meal. Keep posting recipes - I love having new ideas!

Flora said...

This looks heavenly. If I can't find frozen artichokes, do you have a suggestion for a substitution?

b.liz said...

I think two cans of drained artichokes would work great too. Once they get all hot and crusty in the oven ((ew, that sounds gross, but it's actually really good!) it shouldn't matter too much where they came from! Let me know how it turns out.

BarbaraJo said...

What if you substituted asparagus? I too can't seem to find any local artichokes. Can't wait to try this one.

nymanzanita said...

I bought some canned artichokes and was ready to make this. Then I went to another market and saw artichokes for sale. I bought 4..boiled them...chopped the hearts up...and used them in the recipe. Heavenly! Sooooo delicious!

b.liz said...

So glad you liked it...and using fresh artichokes, that's ambitious!

BJ - I don't know how it would turn out with asparagus since it turns stringy when over-cooked. Maybe you could try it with canned or fresh artichokes. Let me know how it turns out!