Anyway, I asked W. to get his shoes on because I was planning to drop him off at school on the way to the doctor and I noticed that he was completely green and moaning, "I don't feel so well." Poor guy was traumatized by all the blood and panic...and likely felt guilty about horsing around with his not-even-two-year-old sister. So I gave him a snack and hauled all three of my kids to get her head stitched up.
We arrived at the doctor's office and I had tears in my eyes trying to stay composed while Flora was chatting with everyone saying, "I got big owie!" pointing to her head. The kids perked up considerably (begging to play Angry Birds on my mobile phone, their newest obsession) and we snapped a few shots while waiting...and then the fun began.
FK looking pretty terrified at the doctor with the sewing needle.
This is the only 'before' shot i took and doesn't do the injury justice.
FK is very strong-willed and has an incredible set of lungs so the 6 stitches took a very looooong time (it felt like days, but it was probably only about 15 minutes). After the litocane injections she couldn't feel anything, but she was so steamed about being held down - by yours truly, of course - that it was torture trying to keep her wiggly body still while listening to her constant high-pitched shriek the entire time. Flora was begging and sobbing and screaming while I was trying to sing, tell stories and do anything to unsuccessfully distract her. At one point I looked up at the assisting nurse (holding FK's head) and saw that she was clearly upset and staring at the ceiling while tears were welling in her eyes. FK didn't calm down or stop screaming for one second! Even the doctor sewing her up was getting irritated by Flora's thrashing on the last couple stitches and kept firmly saying 'stop it'.It was truly horrible.
So we survived the stitches...barely. It took her a long time to stop sobbing and calm down.
AND it looks like she'll have a scar across her forehead her whole life. Miraculously, the doctor did a decent job, despite the obvious obstacles, and we're hopeful that the scar won't be too noticeable.
Oh well, she needs to have a reminder of her days growing up with two big brothers, right?




10 comments:
Oh so sad! I remember when Kieran went flying into a play chest - he was about two - and ended up needing stiches. Mom elected me to be her helper (who knows why) and go with them to the hospital for the stiches. The doctor asked us to leave the room cause mom was crying as hard as Kieran, so really, you did amazing! Accidents definitely happen with little people around!
Sad, sad story. Little Flora's broken blood vessels around her eyes in the "I'm so sad I got stitches" photo breaks my heart. Nelson's comment when he heard about the screaming while getting stitched up was, "I'll bet she was really loud!" Maybe she'll get the nickname of Harry Potter!
Aaah! Poor little cutie. I'll tell you though - Mederma does wonders!
Oh Beth poor little family. She is still a pretty little thing even with the stitches. I will say that as a girl who also had 2 big brothers who were not so fragile with me, and me also not being the most fragile with myself. Vitamin E capsules does wonders for healing scars, and the oil from the capsule doesn't even sting.
Good luck. And the Best Moms are the ones that can feel the pain of their little ones. I've seen you. All you Spackman girls are the
BEST Moms.
So sad and so sorry! I know tooo much about scars on faces.. There is some stuff you can put on it at night that will help reduce the appearance of scars.. Try getting sylicone sheets (don't to this until the scabs are gone) and put them on the scar every night while she sleeps.. I have done this with Mason's scars and it has done WONDERS!
Ohhhhh!!! You are not a baby at all-I would be crying too! Holding your kid down for anything is rough! I"m glad you survived and it's safe to say that medicine is perhaps not in Walker's future...
Thanks for the great recommendations for scar-remedies. This is certainly no tragedy (Collette!!), but a just a sad little story.
Mom: Harry Potter??? Really? We need a more feminine nickname at least...ha!
Kate: Walker's dream of being a surgeon is definitely out. Actually he wants to be a dentist, but we'll see about that one. Mouths make me squeamish!
Oh, I am so sorry! it makes me feel so bad for everyone. I bet little Walker felt so so terrible. hope it heals quickly.
Gorgeous family, Bethy!
love ya lots - Kathy
how awful, beth! getting shots is bad enough...i can't even imagine!! i would've been bawling.
ps- cute kiddos ;)
Post a Comment