Thursday, March 20, 2008

Teaching the Easter Story...with cookies!

I know, I know...another post about a recipe. Maybe I show love to my family through food or something!

This is from a newly-discovered website called sugardoodle.net that I just LOVE. It has all kinds of great ideas...one of which is how to teach the true meaning of Easter by making these meringue-type cookies with your kids and reading a few scriptures at the same time. I'm going to try these out on Saturday night with my little kitchen "helpers" and hope they get excited to wake up the next morning to eat their hollow tomb cookies. Maybe they will even pick up on the Christ-centered meaning instead of getting so geared up for the Easter Bunny. (Don't worry, we'll still have plenty of chocolate eggs and jelly beans too!)

6 comments:

Lauren said...

Keep the tips coming! Sounds like a fabulous website - thanks for sharing and have a great easter.

ang said...

I am curious about this...you'll have to let us know how it goes over with the kids!

Janine said...

How did it go with the cookies?

b.liz said...

Update: The cookies were not super tasty (just a little white meringue with a hollow center), but the kids were SO EXCITED about them on Easter morning that they almost forgot about the Easter Bunny. It turned out to be really fun cooking/tasting/stirring with my kids while Daddy sat at the counter reading a scripture associated with each ingredient and teaching about Christ's crucifixion and resurrection. I think it will be our new little tradition!

Flora said...

It sounds like it was great! Your children are a perfect age to start this tradition. Our little craft (from the same wonderful sugardoodle.net website!) went over great in Primary. We did the styrofoam cup as the "tomb" and Jesus "rising from the grave" with a straw. The kids really got into it!

The Bjurstrom Family said...

What a creative thing to do. Thanks for the tips!!!!! Wanted to let you know that I "tagged" you on my blog. Check it out to see what you have to do if you want to:) Your kids are getting so big. Can you believe Walker will be 5 this year????? It seems like just yesterday him and Dylan were 2.