Friday, October 24, 2008

Autumn field trips

Although it doesn't feel like Autumn (I've been praying for some cooler weather!), we've had a great time doing all the traditional fall activities: apple picking, pumpkin patch exploring, leaf collecting...and we haven't even made it to halloween yet! Walker's fall break has allowed for some fun field trips lately.

Pink Lady Love:



A lovely local farmer hosted about 40 kids and their parents (from the MOMs Club...that's right, I belong to a mom's club!) to come pick apples in his orchard. It was a beautiful, hot day and the boys had a great time choosing the reddest Pink Lady apples they could find. Our bags filled up much too quickly.

Here are the boys enjoying their spoils. We love these firm, sweet apples and it is so funny to watch Walker get resourceful with his lesser-used teeth.

Mommy's favorite part was going home and making apple pie with caramel sauce...mmmmm.

Pumpkin Patch Play:

We also had fun with our darling little friend, Maddie, and her mom, Sarah, at a local pumpkin patch/petting zoo/corn maze/haunted house/kiddie play park called Del 'Osso Farms.


Here's the big boy on a tiny pony and the little boy on a big pony. I don't know how that worked out, but Drew was quite wary of the whole experience.


...and Drew also getting freaked out by the goats.
(Why can't I get this kid to SMILE in any photos!?)

When we got home, my creative little Walker (Who has proclaimed to his primary leaders that his favorite thing to do is "make crafts"...WHAT? I don't even know how to make crafts!) decided that the pumpkins he chose from the farm would make an excellent snowman. Isn't his California snowman cute?

2 comments:

Sara and Dustin said...

I LOVE seeing pictures of your boys. Logically, I know they're still growing up but it shocks me every time I see pictures. My favorite is Walker's "snowman." That's so creative! I'm SO EXCITED to see you guys at Christmas!

Flora said...

I am amazed at what wonderful activities are available to you! Apple farms! Pumpkin patches! Please tell Walker and Drew that Pink Lady apples are Grandpa's favourite! Those apples look so yummy! The California "snowman" is a hoot! I am excited to help them build a snowman this Christmas! (Do I overuse exclamation marks?)