Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Fishy party

Walker's 6th birthday party took place under the sea this year. The birthday boy had a great time decorating with sea shells, making his ocean-scene cake, playing fishy games and then celebrating with his friends...oh, and opening all his presents (mostly lego), of course! I think he had fun, but I probably had more fun planning all the details. I love parties.


The invite. (Thanks to my talented friend, Alyssa!)


The ocean scene cake.


The guests. (Notice the boy-to-girl ratio...nice work, Walker!)

We had one little craft that the kids loved...we made an "ocean in a bottle" (pictured on the table above). It was really easy - since I don't really do crafts - basically the kids filled an empty water bottle half way with water and one drop of blue food coloring, adding sea shells and tiny little toy fish and green glitter. Then an adult helped to fill the rest of the bottle with oil and hot glued the lid back on. The kids were fascinated by the waves and bubbles as they shook their little sea creatures around. (Disclaimer: I can't take credit for any of these cute ideas...I found them all online!)


Here the kids are playing "Minnow, Minnow, Shark" (a.k.a. Duck, Duck, Goose) after lunch.

5 comments:

Kelsey Marie said...

I absolutly LOVE it! The invite is so clever and the cake looked amazing! I love making scenes on cakes-makes it so much more interesting! :) It sounds like it was a blast!

Soelbergs said...

So FUN! Love the cake! Grace just brought home that ocean in a bottle from preschool the other day. They were learnging about the creation. SO CUTE!

Flora said...

Beth, you are such a creative mommy. The party looked like a spectacular success. Walker looks so happy! Well done!

Eden Lang said...

What a perfect party. their grins are so big and pure! I am totally impressed with your details...and I too loved the cake! Looks like it was a perfect afternoon.

Lisa Thompson said...

What a fun party!! Well done on the cake Martha.