Tuesday, April 21, 2009

My first thumb-sucker



My baby girl is officially a thumb-sucker. As soon as I get over the cuteness factor, I'm sure that I'll be trying to get her to stop. Right now it is great because she knows how to comfort herself to sleep! What in the world am I going to do when she's a thumb-sucking five-year-old with a serious orthodontic problem?

Little Bear also had a strong need to suck and I'm wary to admit that we finally threw away all of his soothers (US translation: pacifiers) after his third birthday! It was torture trying to teach him to fall asleep without them. Boo-boo has never been attached to his thumb or any sucking mechanism, but he is still OBSESSED with his green blankie and cannot sleep without it. Somehow it seems easier to get rid of external attachments, but it just seems wrong to chop off her right thumb!

6 comments:

BarbaraJo said...

It's alright. I sucked my thumb until I was 10! And I've never had braces until this year to fix my front tooth.

Sara and Dustin said...

She is SO CUTE!!! I love that picture - maybe because that's how my Anna looked. At least we'll have thumb-sucking five-year-olds with seriously orthodontic problems together! Oh wait, Anna sucks her thumb AND is obsessed with a blankie. Great.

Cumorah said...

Aaaah! Watch out! My middle kid sucked her thumb - and we thought it was awesome, because we weren't constantly on a binkie hunt to keep her calm, like we were with our first. Now she's four and a half, and we cannot break her of it! Her dentist says it's not a big deal until she gets in her permanent teeth --- but it drives me batty! We definitely went back to the binkie for our third babe. You go through a week of hell when you take it away, but at least you CAN take it away!!! But, I have to admit...it is ADORABLE!!!

BJ and Alexis Gremillion said...

She is so cute beth! That is such a sweet picture! I think thumb sucking is so cute but I don't have any children who suck their thumbs so maybe i'll think differently later. Until then she is ADORABLE!

Flora said...

Ditto on the adorable factor. Having never had a thumb sucker, I am no help. But have you talked to Grandma Spackman? She still wakes up - at 86 - with her fingers clenched around thumbs - evidently it isn't always an easy habit to break. Ah - but don't worry about it yet! Enjoy!

Kelsey Marie said...

Oh that is just too cute!!! :D I was a thumb-sucker as well hahaha...and I did grow out of it ;) Love the adorable photo!