Tuesday, August 25, 2009

First of First

I distinctly remember having cramps deep in my stomach on the first day of school every year of Elementary and begging my mom to let me stay home sick. I was such a nervous wreck that I could hardly stand it to line up with my new classmates, meet my new teacher, and find my new desk. It was all just too much!

Fortunately my little Walker didn't get the
jitter-gene quite like I did. Whew!

Today was his first day of first grade...in a new school where he doesn't know anyone, no less...and he did great. After walking to school together, we approached the "quad" where he was supposed to find his teacher and line up. It was packed with people. There were kids running around, parents lolling, teachers yelling. It was crazy! We met his teacher and then, without even looking back, Walker just left my side (and the huge red stroller which was not going to fit through all the people) and squeezed through the crowd to his spot in line. No problem. Six-year-old me would never have done that!

As I was tucking him in bed tonight he actually said, "YES, I can't wait to go back to school tomorrow!"

Just, WOW. I'm really enjoying this enthusiasm...while it lasts.

5 comments:

Sara and Dustin said...

He's so grown up! I can't believe he's in first grade and is so mature about it. What a great kid!

BarbaraJo said...

so cute. what a stud.

Flora said...

Walker is an amazing little boy! Congrats on a successful first day of first grade! And you may only remember the stomach aches the first day of elementary school, but I remember your stomach aches the first day of EVERY year - including university! So glad Walker isn't exhibiting the "jitter-gene" - what a cute name for stress!

b.liz said...

Seriously? Stomach aches every year?! Wow, it's worse than I thought. How embarrassing...thanks, Mom!

Holly said...

I'm not surprised LB loves school so much. He is a smart little muffin!
Thanks for keeping us updated. I love reading your blog!