I'm thrilled to announce my official American Citizenship. I was naturalized and took my oath last week and now I'm happy to be able to vote in the next election! For all you born-and-bred Americans out there, it might not be too exciting, but I'm THRILLED to be a part of this great nation. Now it is my job to memorize the Pledge, the Star-spangled Banner and re-learn my U.S. History so I can teach my little American boys. (Of course, they will still be learning O, Canada, some mean cereal-box French, and how to really appreciate Celine Dion.)
My ancestors have a rich history in America and I hope to carry on their legacy of hard work and devotion to their country.
Many Americans can trace their lineage back to the passengers on the Mayflower, so I'm not that original; but I was so excited to find out that I have relatives who arrived on the Mayflower and were the very first settlers on this continent: Francis Cooke, Myles Standish (actually recruited and settled in Plymouth after the Mayflower arrived), and Edward Fuller. (If you're interested, I read an incredible historical account in Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community and War by Nathaniel Philbrick.)
This is William Howard Taft (1857-1930), twenty-seventh President of the United States. That's right, I'm proudly related to the fattest U.S. President in history! As far as I can tell from some brief online research, he is my Great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great Grandfather (that's 14 generations ago).There are numerous stories about my pioneer ancestors struggling to cross the plains to settle Utah and other western States.
More recently, my beloved Great-Grandfather, Ezra Taft Benson, served as Secretary of Agriculture in President Eisenhower's cabinet. (This is a photo at my Aunt Heather's wedding in 1980 - one of the only photos I have with my Great-Grandfather. I'm the cute blond 3-yr-old and he is the cute old man.)I'm proud to be an American!
(Can you tell?)
8 comments:
Benson is the best guy! Congrats on your citizenship! Now go out and vote tomorrow in the Primary tomorrow!
How exciting! Congrats on your citizenship and thanks for sharing all those tidbits of US History. Your Dad was my mission president in NY (I used to see you all the time when I would go to the mission home)and I still remember meeting your grandma and her letting me read your great-grandfather (Presiden Bensons) scriptures. I thought it was such an honor to be able to have looked through the prophets scriptures. It has become one of my nephews favorite bedtime stories.
CONGRATULATIONS!!! You've worked hard at becoming a US citizen and now you've got it. I am way too green with envy....oh, how it would make my life easier! Thanks for the family info. I didn't know a lot of that stuff.
"Oh, say can you see, by the dawn's early light..." I am so happy that you have your American citizenship! Have I ever mentioned how annoyed I am with that man-made border which divides the 49th parallel? I think everyone should have dual citizenship! Great info on your blog!
I am so excited for you. Welcome to the dark side. Even though you have been living the dream for awhile its great to be official. Did you still mantain duel citizenship?? This is a great year to be able to vote. Enjoy.
CONGRATULATIONS! I can't imagine living here without being able to have an opinion... Now you get to share yours! (Legally, of course!) =) I remember the first time I got to vote for President... It wasn't long after I turned 18! I'm sure this one will be memorable for you too!
I know it’s a long process with lots to learn so CONGRADULATIONS on completing it and getting your citizenship. Do you get to maintain you Canadian citizenship as well. I have to start the process to get my passport so I can visit Canada :)
Congratulations! The day you got your citizenship is the day Rob and I got our first placement of foster children. I'm so glad I found your blog! I can't believe I didn't notice it off of Stacie's earlier.
Post a Comment