Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Cows, Splashing, and a Pinata

We were so lucky to have my sister-in-law, Lisa, and her two little boys, Quinn and Xander, come stay with us for over two weeks. She was an angel. I'm so grateful for all her fabulous meals, her constant cleaning and her exceptional company. I'm starting to feel better most mornings (horray!), so we had a few adventures...then by evening I was mostly lying on the couch so Lisa just took care of us all. It was fabulous!

"Mooooooo!"
We toured a local dairy farm and the kids adored feeding bottles to the little calves. We even got to see a cow immediately after she had birthed a little heifer. Unfortunately we missed the birth by only a few minutes. (The kids may have been traumatized, but I was so disappointed that we missed the action!)

Of course the smell at the farm was a little overwhelming and unsuspecting Quinn got out of the car and exclaimed "This world is disgusting!". Our little city boys got a glimpse into farm life - followed by ice cream and cookies.



Later that day we cooled off at our local splash park. (Okay, the kids cooled off and the mommies sat in the shade.) Above left is Drew and Xander trying not to fight over the toys and the water. Above right is Walker and Quinn having a watermelon refueling session in preparation for more running and splashing. These two are a constant source of energy. Too bad my car can't run on kid adrenaline!


Thrilled about all the Mexican food available in California, Lisa insisted that we have a Cinco de Mayo party, so we invited Katie and John over for shredded chicken tacos on corn tortillas, mexican rice and beans, guacamole, and flan. Lisa even bought a watermelon-shaped pinata. My very first Cinco de Mayo party was a blast. (Notice Katie diving into the candy loot with all the kids. Easy, Kate...there are lots of tootsie rolls to go around!)


4 comments:

Flora said...

FUN photos! It looks like you had a spectacular time with Lisa and family. Thanks, Lisa, for helping Beth while she was vomitting. So glad that you guys had fun!

Janine said...

You guys had so much fun. And its so sunny and warm looking. I can't wait until you come up here. Maybe Lisa can keep cooking for all of us???

ang said...

I'm glad that you updated your blog - I was getting worried about you!! Sounds like you have been having fun though. Glad that you're feeling a bit better!

Pablo said...

"the smell at the farm was a little overwhelming and unsuspecting" - I laughed pretty hard at that line. Gotta love them cows!