Last night while Drew, Walker and I were eating dinner, Walker looked up from his food with a thoughtful look on his face and said, "Mom, if I were you, I'd get a job and go to work instead of staying home with us all day." My inner-self was freaking out at this comment, but I wanted to press him for more information so instead I smirked and asked why he thought that. "Well," he replied, "I think it is so boring here at home just hanging around. You just lie around all day and it's no fun." OWCH!!! This comment came after an entire afternoon of playing board games and reading stories on the couch together. What is he talking about?! (Of course, I was quick to point out to Walker all the things I
love about being a mom: reading stories together, playing at the park, singing songs at the piano, etc.)
To be honest, I'm not really the ball of giggles that I used to be...I
have spent many afternoons lately lying on the couch trying not to puke and I
have been a touch grumpy in the last few nausea-filled months, but really?! He must think I'm totally miserable doing this motherhood thing. And it really got me thinking about my job satisfaction and how happy am I?
In response to my current line of thinking, Stu sent me an excellent
article about finding more satisfaction as a mother. I agree that the daily mundane tasks are not exactly thrilling or "smiley-face" inducing, but motherhood is joyful and satisfying on a much deeper level.
Maybe I need to take a hint...or perhaps just a happy pill!
6 comments:
Isn't it funny how our children perceive things? I can remember when you were small - probably about Walker's age - and we drove past a day care with all the kids playing outside - and you said, "I wish I was in daycare. Why can't we go in daycare?" Walker is a very bright little boy, and he is undoubtedly responding to his perceptions of what life is like outside his home - just as you were when you saw the children playing - without their parents!
Then, on the other hand, we had Grant, who didn't want me to come to the school one day when I was all dressed up for a meeting. (I still remember the outfit I was wearing, and I thought I looked pretty darn good!) I asked him why he didn't want me to go to the school, and he said, "You look like one of the mom's who work." I laughed until I peed myself. So, one can't get too tied up in a knot over our children's perceptions. I guess it's our job to help them see life while grasping the iron rod. And you do that wonderfully! Walker, Drew and little Fiona the Fetus are so blessed to have you as their stay-at-home, cheeful while barfing mother!
I think ALL kids say something sometime about that. Hannah has commented about why do other moms go to work...don't they love their kids? That was a tough one to explain, but it could just as easily gone the other way...like why don't you work, are you lazy? I like your moms comment too, and am totally going to read that article when i find a free minute ;).
what a great article! Thank you to you and Stu for sharing. I just read Elder Ballard's talk from last conference so it was very interesting to see the similarities between the two. One of my favorite quotes from that talk is "Recognize that the joy of motherhood comes in moments."
I didn't tell you earlier but I got the background to my blog at cutestblogontheblock.blogspot.com Check it out!
Congratulations Stu!! Beth you are a great mom. We all go through "couch days" when we are prego. It is OK because we get to make up for it later.
Beth - it's just a stage. I'm over my barfing days for good now (as long as I'm super careful while brushing my teeth) and I am back to my chipper self. I was feeling guilty all the time too. This is jut a change for Walker, so really, it's good that he noticed it. You're obviously a very fun, happy mom when you're not throwing up all the time.
p.s. I think you should name your baby fiona now. Your mom cracks me up!!!
I hope you are feeling better soon! It is such hard work getting through morning sickness! His little comment cracks me up though. I am sure it wouldn't take to much work to convince him that sitting at a computer all day would be far less fun than hanging on the couch! Thanks for the article too! It had lots of great tips.
Post a Comment