We had soup three times last week. It must be fall!
2) Turkey Noodle Soup - Our favorite way to use up leftover turkey (taught to me by my talented sis, Holly). Just make sure to save that nasty turkey "carcass" and leftover scraps. It is perfect for a crisp fall day...and my kids love it.
Warning: This is a very loose recipe that Holly dictated over the phone with approximate measurements so please adjust as necessary and season to taste!
Holly's Turkey Soup
Place carcass and scraps in a giant pot, add 2 quartered onions, 4 whole carrots and 4 celery stalks. Cover with water and add 1-2 T of salt (depending on the size of your pot), 1 T basil and 1 T oregano. Boil for several hours (at least two). Strain well, discarding all veggies and bones, until there is a clear(-ish) broth. Place stock back into pot, add diced carrots, celery, and onion, plus a few cups of diced turkey meat. Boil until veggies are tender, then season to taste with salt, pepper and a little more basil and oregano. Boil pasta in salted water in a separate pot and add before serving.
3) Curried Butternut Squash Soup - this one is actually healthy, but that's totally secondary.

Photo: Food Network
Curried Butternut Squash Soup
(modified from Ellie Krieger's recipe on Food Network)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (2 1/2-pound) butternut squash
3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks (about 1 cup)
5 cups low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
1 tablespoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more, to taste
2 tablespoons honey
4 teaspoons plain low-fat yogurt, for garnish
Slice the butternut squash in half length-wise, scoop out the seeds and then place cut side down in a roasting pan with about ½ inch of water. Bake at 400 degrees until flesh is tender, approximately 30-45 minutes. After slightly cooled, scoop cooked squash into a separate bowl and set aside.
Heat oil over medium heat in a 6-quart stockpot. Add onions and garlic and saute until soft but not brown, about 6 to 7 minutes. Add the cooked butternut squash, chopped carrots, broth, curry powder and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes until carrots are very soft. Remove from heat stir in honey and puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender until smooth. Season with salt, to taste.
Ladle into serving bowls and add a dollop of yogurt.
I'm always searching for yummy soup recipes...what's your favorite?
5 comments:
Oh yum! I have been totally into soups and hot chocolate lately. I'm thrilled you posted this! I love, love, love Holly's turkey soup. It makes me sad I didn't cook a turkey just because I can't make this soup. Good thing another Thanksgiving is coming up soon!
I love Garden Chowder (I'm making it tomorrow!) or Corn Chowder. Both are so delicious. They're in your cookbook in the soup section. Hurray for tasty food!!
mmmmmmm....I love homemade soups. I'm definitely going to try these.
Hey, I just got some squash to make soup this week!
I haven't made soups in a while, so I forget what our faves are
mmmm that curry one sounds good...
I LOVE SOUP! You already published my two favourites... Although a co-worker gave me some taco soup the other day that was delicious. I'll have to get the recipe and share it.
Post a Comment